When it comes to online payments, UPI plays a vital role as it has become the most convenient mode of payment and is adopted by the majority of businesses. Post-demonetization, UPI-based payments have soared in India. According to the report of Inc 42, UPI has seen a massive payment processing hike of about 245 million in the span of 2 years.
UPI has also seen a growth of 78% in the number of banks integrating with it. UPI became the most popular and the most preferred mode of payment because of the following reasons:
- Money can be transferred 24/7.
- The UPI id acts as an email address for your money which can be shared to receive a payment instead of bank details.
- Increase in security.
NPCI is the organization that handles all the retail payments in a country. UPI is managed by NPCI. An updated version of UPI which is UPI 2.0 was launched by NPCI in August 2018 with the following new features:
- Link Overdraft Account: With the existing support for linking savings and current accounts, now you can link your overdraft account to UPI. Customers can make transactions easily and can avail themselves of all the benefits of an overdraft account. UPI 2.0 has become an additional digital channel for accessing your overdraft account.
- One-Time Mandate: UPI mandate can be used in the scenario where money can be transferred later with the commitment at present. Onetime block functionality for transactions is used for creating UPI mandates. Customers can authorize the transaction earlier and can make the payment later. It works for both customers as well as for merchants. Mandates can be created and executed instantly. On the date of the actual purchase, the amount will be automatically deducted and received by the merchant/individual user.
- Invoice in the box: This feature is designed so that customers can check the invoice before making the payment. It will help the customers to view and verify the credentials and also check if it has come from the right merchant. Customers can pay once they have finished validating the details.
- Signed Intent/QR code: This feature allows the customers to check the authenticity of the merchant by scanning the QR code. It notifies the customer with the information about the merchant stating whether he is a verified UPI merchant or not. Customers will be notified in case the merchant is not verified by the UPI merchant.
With its new features on offer, UPI 2.0 has a lot on offer. From a consumer’s point, UPI can be used to book taxis, pay for medicines at pharmacies, pay for groceries, or pay for investments a lot more. The increased popularity of UPI will reduce the market for wallets.
Digital Payment Guru provides payment gateway integration services of top payment gateways like PayPal, Paytm, PayU, Instamojo & Atom at the best market rates. If you are confused about which payment gateway to choose from, we can help you choose the best payment gateway for your business by analyzing your business requirements.